Dear Americans not used to cold temperatures,
IF THE HEAT IN YOUR HOUSE GOES OUT, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, USE A GENERATOR IN YOUR HOUSE.
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING IS A VERY REAL AND VERY DANGEROUS THING. PEOPLE DIE FROM USING THEM IN THEIR HOME. DON’T PUT THEM IN YOUR GARAGE WITH THE DOOR CLOSED, EITHER. TREAT THEM AS YOU WOULD A RUNNING CAR. KEEP THEM OUTDOORS.
Also, if you have to go driving, please dress as if you might get stuck. Gloves, toques, jackets, etc. As well, bring an emergency kit with you– blankets, food, water, as well as a shovel in case you need to dig, candles, and booster cables.
Your Canadian Neighbor