1. Your toothbrush next to mine.At the Grand Canyon, we raced to memorize every animal fact we could, and did not waste any flicker of campfire without letting people know the greatest threat to manatees is fishing boats; skunks won’t spray if there’s a chance they’ll smell themselves. We became our own favorite game.
2. You never sneeze the same way twice.
3. Yesterday, your mother asked me to call her “Mom.” She said she didn’t understand all the big fuss over joining the family because she already considered me a part of it.
5. My happiest moment is the night we couldn’t sleep. We ransacked the beach chairs out of your garage and sat in the middle of the sleeping street with our bodies laid out to the sky. We peeled back the layered paint on the stars; tried our best guesses at what they all meant.
6. You call me by my full name, and I never knew how beautiful it could sound.
7. When we come home, we tell each other about all the dogs we met today; all the shades of green we watched in the trees.
8. I could spend an entire day kissing every inch of your shoulders.
9. Neither one of us sleep pretty, but you are still the most remarkable thing I wake to.
10. I can’t talk about this to anyone else. They don’t understand it like I do: all the stupid, silly things that don’t mean anything, but they matter to me.
They matter to me.
You matter to me.
“1. Your toothbrush next to mine. 2. You never sneeze the same way twice. 3. Yesterday, your mother asked me to call her “Mom.” She said she ...”
“He smells like the bar nights I was too young for and the music my mother hated. He was elecricity and I was warm running water. A bathtub w...”
“Consider this: we fuck with the lights on. You trace the flat shape of my breasts when I lay down. We keep the windows open because the rain...”
“We are climbing into each other’s sleeping bags, pretending we are just freezing, when the truth is I sleep so much better by your sid...”
“How do you know you’re in love? Oh goodness, wildflower, you’ll know. It’s the spring creeping back up after winter. As soon as you st...”
“All I ever want is for someone to look at me and think “yeah, you’re worth it””
“If you’re going to fall in love with me then please love all of me. Don’t just love the side of me that’s sweet, the side of me that’s carin...”
“I just want to be the one to wake up next to you at 7am when your alarm clock goes off and watch you reach over me to shut it off, your hair...”
“It’s okay to cry if the person you thought loves you ends up tearing you apart by leaving.”
“And I’m in love with you. And it’s not because it’s 12am at night and I haven’t slept in over two days. It’s because I am truly inconvenient...”
“I learned that love could never really save us. Because you can love someone and still be sad at the end of the day. It’s all about sa...”
“I might tell you to fuck off but inside I’m picturing you as my husband.”